Feel the Love at Have a Heart
Have a Heart’s history in Washington’s cannabis scene runs deep. They started as a single medical shop to connect with patients. Today they’ve morphed into a chain of six retail stores committed to quality, experience, and most importantly, the consumers.
While every location is unique, they all have a knowledgeable staff eager to help you select the best products. We spoke with BJ Jordan, Marketing Director, about Have a Heart’s history and what to expect in your first rec shop experience.
Recreational Shop Name: Have a Heart
Locations: 115 Blanchard St., Seattle, WA 98121
22624 Meridian Ave S, Suite B, Bothell, WA 98021
316 N. 36th Street Seattle, WA 98103
300 NW 85th St. Seattle, WA 98117
12833 Martin Luther King Jr Way S., Seattle, WA 98178
668 Ocean Shores Blvd. NW. Ocean Shores, WA 9856
Why did Have a Heart get into the cannabis industry?
It started with Doc Joel Burman of 4E, the authorization clinic here in Seattle. For a long time, Doc was the major authorizer for medical patients here in Seattle. Have a Heart started on the idea you could go in, get your authorization, then go to a safe, well organized shop that works directly with the clinic. This ensured patients got what they were looking for from the prescription straight to the shop.
Top 5 tips for your first rec shop experience?
1. Talk to Your Local Budtender: There’s a lot of differences in marijuana. Sometimes people from outside the state just don’t understand the differences between THC and CBD. That’s fine, we are here to help!
2. Make Sure the Shop is for You: There’s a lot of shops with different retail experiences. If you are the type of person who needs a budtender to sit down with you, pick your shop accordingly.
3. Know the Laws Around Your Area and Your Shop: Make sure you’re not consuming in public when it’s illegal to consume in public.
4. Dosing: Know your doses. Edibles can be the go-to for beginners. They can also be the worst experience ever for beginners. Make sure you know your dosing. Low and slow, always.
5. Make Sure You Shop at Have a Heart: The above four we’ll take care of every time, no doubt. (laughs)
What sets Washington apart from other rec states?
We say the self-shopping experience. The self-shopping experience here is a true retail experience. It’s not that way in a majority of states yet. Another thing to set Washington state apart is individual packaging. You don’t have to come in, stick your head in a large jar everybody else’s nose has been in and risk the chance of getting MRSA, or even worse, dry buds. Individual packaging, in our opinion, provides the best buds with a nice cure. Most importantly, Washington’s laws for testing protect the customers. They test for everything from pesticides to THC percentage, so consumers know what they’re getting.
What are your hopes for the cannabis industry 5 years from now?
Our hopes? The U.S. government will legalize it throughout the states so companies like ours can branch out and help patients in need. We want to help people understand what cannabis is used for and how it can help them. We hope the Feds will understand and let us continue to do our thing — help patients.
What’s one phrase that defines Have a Heart?
Changing the face of cannabis. We are not here to continue the norm. We are here to set new standards, increase the industry and to educate the populous.