Four Quick, Healthy Island-Inspired Snacks
Summer is for quick, easy meals that satisfy our hunger and fuel our bodies. A greasy GrubHub order might be tempting, but wholesome ingredients like mangoes, cashews, and fresh herbs are just as delicious — and can easily be transformed into healthy, flavorful snacks. Add superfoods like activated charcoal, sprouted hemp seeds, and spirulina, and you’ve got yourself a tasty, nutrient-packed treat that’s the perfect power-up before your next adventure.
We asked our friend Estelle Lubino to whip up four island-inspired recipes to try next time you need a boost. Packed with tropical flavors, these munchies are almost as good as a trip to the Caribbean. Almost.
Mango Mint Salad
Mangos and cannabis are a match made in heaven — it’s said consuming the two together can boost the herb’s effects. Myrcene, the terpene responsible for giving mangoes their unique, clove-like smell, is also found in certain cannabis strains.
Add some mango magic to your summer with this fresh Caribbean salad.
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- Fresh mint leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Peel the mango and dice into small cubes.
- Open and dice the avocado.
- Chop the mint leaves into small pieces.
- Place the mango, avocado, and mint into a bowl and mix to combine well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for 30 minutes then serve.
This blackish-grey stuff is actually good for you! Activated charcoal contains millions of tiny pores that absorb the toxins and chemicals lurking in your body. No need to worry: Adding activated charcoal to a recipe adds very little taste to your food or drink. Plus, it’s a helpful remedy for bloating.
- 2 frozen banana
- 1 peeled lemon
- 1/2 inch peeled ginger
- 1/2 tsp activated charcoal
- 1 cup almond milk
- Mix all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
Technically speaking, it’s not really ice cream, but this tastes just as good and is better for you! Simply puree frozen organic purple sweet potatoes, frozen banana, sugar, and dash of vanilla. The end result is a smooth, rich treat completely deserving of the "cream" title. Pour it in a coconut and you’re instantly transported to the islands.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1.5 cups purple sweet potato, cooked, peeled, cubed, frozen
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
The only shoes we want to see this summer are cashews. The dreamy, creamy texture of cashew cream cheese is perfect morning, noon, and night. Cashews are packed with vitamins E, K, and B6, and minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and selenium, all of which are important to maintain good bodily function. Also – they’re delicious!
You can have this all-star spread on toast, a pasta dish, or even in your salmon bagel.
- 1 cup raw cashew soaked in water 4-8 hours
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Salt (to taste)
- Drain the cashews and blend them until smooth — this might take a few minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and continue to blend until smooth.
- Remove from blender. Spread on toast and sprinkle on additional toppings — we like sprouted hemp seeds and a dash of spirulina. Lick the plate.